Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Casablanca

Casablanca

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

In our last class, we discussed one of the most popular films of all time, Casablanca. It was number 3 on AFI Top 100 Films of all time, right below Citizen Kane and The Godfather. It was nominated for 8 Academy Awards and took home 3 for Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Picture. It starred leads Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. The film is based on the play: "Everybody Comes to Rick's" By Murray Burnett and Joan Alison.


2) Find a related article (on the film, directed, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, ect.) You can use the library or the internet. Cite the article or copy the url to your journal entry. Summarize in your own words the related article but do not plagiarize any content.

The article I found about when the world found out Casablanca star, Ingrid Bergman, was having an affair with playboy Roberto Rossellini and many other famous friends. At the time, Ingrid was married  had a young daughters. Even on the set of Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart’s then-wife Mayo Methot accused him of cheating with Ingrid while making the film, which led to their divorce. It started in 1949 when Ingrid, penned a "fan" letter to Rossellini. The romance grew and Rossellini even fired his other lover, Anna Magnani, from his next production, Stromboli, and re-wrote the lead role for Ingrid. When the news was out, Ingrid left her family in America to join her new love in Italy, both ending their other marriages. The affair and then marriage with Rossellini created a scandal that forced her to remain in Europe until 1956, when she made a successful Hollywood return in Anastasia for which she won her second Academy Award, as well as the forgiveness of her fans.


3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.

It's funny that this movie centers around a relationship that was essentially an affair because Ingrid's character was still married and loved another man. That was her real life issues played out on film, excluding the war. She was a woman who loved love and I think that was shown well in the film. She fought for her love although it did not work out in the end.


4) Write a critical analysis of the film , including your personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text materials and the article.

I always heard the title of this film when I was little and I was excited to finally seeing this highly praised movie. But in honesty, I was not overly impressed with it. I was very happy to hear the most memorable and reused quotes, though. And many of the minor characters were very enjoyable to watch. The ending of the film was the best part and I was pleased about how the film went, even though I can't agree with the hype it got. 


CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM

1) (x) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class. 


2) (x) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.
3) (x) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text. 


4) (x) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper. 


5) (x) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read. 


6) (x) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 


7) (x) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality. 


8) (x) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment