Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Citizen Kane



Citizen Kane

 1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

In our last class, we discussed the motion picture Citizen Kane. When Citizen Kane was viewed as a bomb when it first came out and the production company, RKO Pictures, was close to burning the films negative because of how bad the film turned out. After several months, Citizen Kane became a hit. It had a huge following do to the star, writer and director of Citizen Kane, Orson Welles. At only 24, RKO Pictures gave Welles all control of this movie. 


2) Find a related article (on the film, directed, studio, actor/actress, artistic content, ect.) You can use the library or the internet. Cite the article or copy the url to your journal entry. Summarize in your own words the related article but do not plagiarize any content.

The article I found on the film is about the death of Richard Collins, the late husband of Dorothy Comingore, the actress who played Susan. It was a discussion of both the blacklisting of Dorothy and Richard.  After the shot of fame, Dorothy felt ill for a short time. She stop showing up to work and RKO suspended her. Dorothy had hoped to star in many films, but upon returning to work, she found nothing to do. Her career shortly ended in 1951. Soon after, she was accused of heavy drinking in custody hearings for her children, and on March 19, 1953, she was arrested for prostitution in West Hollywood. She, and many fans believed that is was part of scheme to make her seem that she was part of the Communism Movement. After that she moved to Connecticut and died at the age of 58, due to her alcohol problem and died of pulmonary disease. Her late husband Richard Collins has been in hiding up to his death because of the harsh things that was done to Dorothy.

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.

 Citizen Kane itself is well known as the most controversial movie to date. The movie itself was rumored for being communism propaganda. Any movie with Hitler in it in the very beginning is a movie that will be up for speculation. Welles never speculated that Comingore was a Communist and he would always answer questions about the rumors, stating it was no such thing.


4) Write a critical analysis of the film , including your personal opinion, formed as a result of the screening, class discussions, text materials and the article.

 Although this film is considered one of, if not the, greatest movie of all time, I did not particularly understand the significance of it. The story had so many flashbacks for this average man. I didn't understand the importance of this character's life that it needed to be documented by this reporter. I will say that the concept of "Rosebud" was a nice mystery, but to be quite honest, halfway through the movie, I had already figured out the importance of him not having a childhood would lead to a path of destruction. I believe that because this movie was the first movie with this concept, that it is a brilliant idea. But because of so many movies I have seen that have been inspired by this film, it lost its "wow" factor for me.


CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM

1) (x) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class. 


2) (x) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.
3) (x) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text. 


4) (x) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper. 


5) (x) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read. 


6) (x) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 


7) (x) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality. 


8) (x) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment